Community Financial Scholarship Fund, in collaboration with the Local Impact Alliance, awards scholarships to college bound members each year.
In 2023, Community Financial will award (20) $2,000 General Scholarships and (3) $2,000 CTE Trade Scholarships.
The 2023 scholarship application will be available January 9, 2023.
The deadline to apply is March 17, 2023 at 5 p.m. EST
- Applicants must have their own personal Community Financial account opened on or before September 17, 2022. Please note that being a beneficiary on another person's account does not qualify.
- Have been accepted at or applied to an accredited college, university or CTE trade school full or part-time for the 2023 Fall semester.
- Judging will be based on: academic performance, community service, extra-curricular activities, letter of recommendation, job/employment, answer to essay question on application and financial need.
- Anyone may apply and be of any ethnic or religious affiliation.
- Applicants must be pursuing an undergraduate degree.
- Previous recipients and applicants are eligible to apply again if they still meet the eligibility criteria.
- Online application
- Latest transcript submitted with online application
- One letter of recommendation from a non-family member
- Last 4 digits of the CFCU account number (must be entered into the online application)
For more than 30 years the Community Financial Scholarship Fund has proudly supported community-minded students. Annual scholarships are granted to outstanding credit union members who demonstrate high honors in school while contributing to their community. The Fund administers scholarships in memory of Margaret Dunning, George Lawton, and Ron Carlson, all of whom epitomized the credit union's "People Helping People" philosophy.
The Margaret Dunning Memorial Scholarship was established to honor Plymouth Community icon, Margaret Dunning, for her 23 years of volunteer service as a member of Community Financial's Board of Directors. Ms. Dunning's years of enthusiastic volunteerism and altruistic contributions to the Plymouth Community make her a model for today's youth. Community Financial is pleased to offer scholarships in her name. Dunning Scholarships are awarded to needy students who demonstrate good character, a commitment to their community and a commendable academic record.Community Financial employees and their family members are not eligible for these scholarships.
The George Lawton Memorial Scholarship Fund was established to honor the memory of the credit union's General Manager of 29 years, George Lawton. Mr. Lawton is best remembered for his kind heart and unrelenting drive to help others.Community Financial employees and their family members are not eligible for these scholarships.
The Ron Carlson Scholarship was created in memory of Mr. Carlson’s commitment to the students and communities Community Financial serves. Ron Carlson served on the Community Financial Board for 28 years. Carlson’s first term started in 1983, and in the years of his service, he helped the credit union grow and focus on the families in our communities.
Under Carlson’s leadership, Community Financial passionately supported, and helped to inspire, the development of financial literacy partnerships with local schools. With years of experience as a math teacher in the Plymouth-Canton school district, Carlson advocated the importance of helping young members develop lifelong money management skills.Community Financial employees and their family members are not eligible for these scholarships.