School Spotlight: Liberty Middle School Students Get Schooled in “Adulting”
|Life Management teacher, Colleen Ramirez, helps students|
make wise choices at the Mad City Money “Mall” station.
They are also given credit card debt, student loan payments, and healthcare costs. During the simulation, students must purchase their transportation, housing, child care, home essentials, food, and clothing within their means. In the end, the goal is for students to have built a monthly budget that leaves $100 in their checking account.
|Life Management students rotate to|
stations to make all of their purchases.
|Liberty Middle School staff member, |
Trichelle Touma, helps students purchase
housing during Mad City Money.
Check out some fun pictures of Community Financial team members assisting students with their budgeting:
Student Credit Union Members and Budgeting
Student credit union members at Community Financial are also encouraged to have a plan for their money. Student members are given a goal sheet at the beginning of the school year that helps them to set a savings goal and to track their progress each month. This helps students to “budget” their money at an early age. You are never too young to learn budgeting skills!
Creating a monthly budget takes time, effort, and organization. Students participating in Mad City Money learn quickly that there are multiple elements to consider in creating a budget as an adult. Luckily, these students are guided in how to make wise money choices during this simulation. Adults, however, must often navigate the world of credit cards, debt, loans etc. on their own with little help. The resources listed below can help alleviate some of that stress. Check them out to find more budgeting and financial help:
- Community Financial Money Matter$ eLearning Center
- Community Financial- Financial Resource Center
- Smart About Money Resources
« Return to "Money Matter$ Blog"
- Share on Facebook: School Spotlight: Liberty Middle School Students Get Schooled in “Adulting”
- Share on Twitter: School Spotlight: Liberty Middle School Students Get Schooled in “Adulting”
- Share on LinkedIn: School Spotlight: Liberty Middle School Students Get Schooled in “Adulting”
- Share on Pinterest: School Spotlight: Liberty Middle School Students Get Schooled in “Adulting”