Credit Union Strong for 70 YearsIn the past 70 years, our communities have grown and changed along with the times, and Community Financial has evolved with them. While the styles may have changed from poodle skirts to skinny jeans, and our Friday nights from soda shops and drive-ins to delivery and Netflix, Community Financial remains as committed as ever to providing exceptional member service and educational experiences.
This year, Community Financial celebrates its 70th anniversary with a look back at where everything began.
Did you know?
- Community Financial Credit Union was founded in 1951 as Daisy Employees Federal Credit Union in Plymouth, MI. Membership was available to employees of the Daisy Air Rifle Company, which was Plymouth’s principal employer. The credit union began in a one-room office with 250 members.
- In 1958, the credit union changed its name to Plymouth Community Federal Credit Union when the Daisy Air Rifle Company moved out of Plymouth.
- The current Plymouth branch property was purchased 10 years after the credit union was founded in 1961 and officially opened as Community Financial’s headquarters in 1997.
- Our northern Michigan branches began to unfold in 1983 due to a merger with Montsego Credit Union (which had offices in Gaylord, Atlanta, and Hillman).
- Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) were officially introduced in 1986, and were originally marketed as “MOMs”: Member Operated Machines.
- The first branch to have drive-thru services was our Northville branch in 1990, the same year the School Credit Union Program opened at Amerman Elementary School in Northville.
- The first drive-up ATM was established in 1995 at the current Canton Center branch location.
- Debit cards weren’t introduced to members until 1997!
- In 2002, the first Computer Café became available for member use at the newly constructed Novi branch.
- Community Federal officially changed its name to Community Financial Credit Union in 2003.
- Mobile banking first became available for members in 2013, allowing access to accounts on the go. Mobile deposit was established a year later.
Now, 70 years after the credit union was founded, Community Financial has 13 branch locations and over 78,000 members. The word “community” is in our name because we are committed to the Michigan communities we serve. While many things have changed through the years, our commitment to you and the community hasn’t changed; it’s strengthened.
To help celebrate our 70th anniversary, we’re bringing the savings back to you. Check out cfcu.org/70DayNoPayto take advantage of our anniversary celebration and get 70 days with no payments when you open an auto loan with Community Financial from now until July 31, 2021!*
Your Turn: What fun fact about Community Financial was most surprising to you? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!
*See cfcu.org/70DayNoPay for more details on this promotion.
« Return to "Money Matter$ Blog"